Thursday, September 25, 2008

Do you love words?

Welcome to the home of YES Prep Lee 7th grade Reading & Writing Rockstars! I look forward to sharing interesting tid bits about reading, writing, and more with all of you. Also, I can't wait to get your opinions about all things literary. Let the fun begin...

If you love learning words, I have a great website for you to visit. Check out FreeRice (http://www.freerice.com). You can play games that test your knowledge of vocabulary words, but that is not the best part. For every answer you get correct, the website donates 20 grains of rice to feed hungry people around the world. Who knew that knowing words could help us make a difference? Enjoy!

P.S. Let me know if you try it. Let's see who can get the highest score!

3 comments:

Ms. N said...

Ms. Gilpin,
This is one of my favorite websites, too! I especially like that if you get an answer wrong, it tells you the correct answer, giving you the opportunity to learn it. Then, a few questions later, it gives you the words you got incorrect so you can practice what you just learned. That's cool!
Ms. N

Sarah Sadie said...

Ms. Gilpin,
I love freerice.com! I just played and got 1280.
Glad you have a blog now, so that I can keep up with your classroom. :)
I start teaching English once a week to second graders tomorrow!
Mlle Fowler

Josie McLemore said...

Ms. Gilpin,
What a wonderful blog. I too love words and will visit often to see your new posts...
:)
Mrs. McLemore